Article By: Jae Yu (MekongSkills2Work Career Editor)
As your time in college comes to an end, it is time to start thinking about the next big phase in your life – how to successfully make the transition into the 21st century workforce. Trust us when we say we know how much of an intimidating process this is. This might be very stressful – but it doesn’t have to be! We have compiled a few tips and tricks to help you reach your goal – without losing your sanity along the way.
- LinkedIn, LinkedIn, LinkedIn. If you aren’t on LinkedIn, you better make an account faster than it takes for you to fall asleep in history class. LinkedIn allows you to connect with people who can give you a leg up in whatever field or industry that you want to get into. In other words – it just made your job search a whole lot easier by allowing you to actively network with all of the right people!
- Explore your options with internships. Internships are the perfect way to gain valuable work experience, while also allowing you to see whether or not the career you want to pursue is actually compatible to you. It also gives you the opportunity to expand your network (always good), and if you’re lucky, you might even get paid, too (always good)!
- Use social media to your advantage. Let’s face it, you basically grew up on social media. The digital medium is practically your second language at this point. The good news is that social media is slowly becoming a pillar in the operations of many businesses, which means that all those hours you spent on Facebook might not have gone to waste after all. In fact, expertise in social media is becoming an increasingly valuable skill (if you don’t believe us, check out this pamphlet from Deloitte), and social media is becoming a powerful way to expand your professional network, via communities and groups that can connect you with industry-specific resources and tips to make your job search a lot smoother. Be sure to leverage these opportunities!
- Tell your story. Every job that you apply for will have hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of other applicants. Be sure to emphasize something that will set you apart from the rest. Are you super creative? Are you a skilled public speaker? Are you a tough debater? Are you a gifted techie? Highlight your strengths. Tell them the story of you. On the MekongSkills2Work portal, you will soon be able to translate your skills and stories with YouRock.jobs – a powerful tool that will help you communicate your strong points to employers. Stay tuned!
- Relax. This is a challenging time, but it is important to unwind every once in a while. Go take a walk, watch a movie, play a few hours of that new video game. Don’t burn yourself out and have a mental breakdown. Take care of yourself. As the saying goes, this too shall pass. So hang on and enjoy the ride!
So there you go – an easy five-step guide to post-grad success! What about you? Do you have any tips that you would like to share? Leave a comment, we would love to hear your thoughts!